Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

LMIA is a verification process that shows proof that no Canadian or permanent resident worker is able to fill a specific job position in Canada. If approved, employers in Canada can hire a foreign worker who will then be able to apply for an employer specific work permit.

Please Note

The program provides only a temporary work permit and it does not guarantee the possibility to apply for permanent residence.

Work Permit Applications

There are various programs that allow you to work in Canada for a limited period of time. These are listed below.


International Experience Canada (IEC)

IEC offers young people between the ages of 18 and 35 the possibility to work and travel in Canada.

To participate to an IEC program

Your country of citizenship must have an agreement with Canada that allows you to apply for an IEC work permit

Recognized Organization

You may be able to use a Recognized Organization if your country of citizenship does not have an agreement with Canada

IEC includes the following programs


Working Holiday Visa*

With a Working Holiday Visa you will have the opportunity to explore Canada while working in your favourite Canadian city. The length of time depends on your country of citizenship.


Young Professional

Just like the WHV, the Young Professional program lets you explore Canada while gaining professional work experience. To apply for the program you must have a job offer and work for the same employer during the duration of your stay Canada.


International Co-Op Internship

If you’re a college or university student and currently have a job offer, internship or work placement, then you may be able to qualify for an International Co-Op Internship.

*Where are you from?

Contact Us to find out if you’re eligible for the program and to learn more about the requirements. You can also check out the Government of Canada’s website to see if your home country currently has agreements with Canada.


If you have experience as an in-home childcare provider, registered nurse, nurse aid or home support worker and meet the language and education requirements, you may be able to qualify for a caregiver program:

  • Caring for children program
  • Caring for people with medical needs
  • Live-in Caregiver program
  • In-home caregiver for children, seniors or persons with medical needs

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

If you are a graduate of a designated learning institution, you may be able to apply for a temporary open work permit.

The time for which a PGWP is valid depends on the length of your program of study.

PGWP Eligibility

If your program was:

  • Less than 8 months: not eligible
  • More than 8 months but less than 2 years: it may be valid for up to the same length of your study program (e.g. if you graduate after 10 months of study, then your PGWP will last for up to 10 months)
  • 2 years or more: a work permit may be issued for 3 years
Please Note

Not all learning institutions or online courses are eligible for a post-graduation work permit. Always contact the educational institution to verify if your program of choice qualifies for a PGWP.

Frequently Asked Questions

Have More Questions?

Get more answers on our FAQ page.

© 2019 Serving People Group. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions

Web Design by nvision