How To Apply For Permanent Residence In Canada – Available Programs

Canadian permanent residents are those who have immigrated to Canada and are allowed to live in Canada, but are no longer temporary residents and not yet Canadian citizens.

Permanent resident applications can be made under a number of different immigration programs. The programs help the Government of Canada understand your particular situation and your eligibility for permanent residence

Apply for Permanent Residence in Canada Through the Following Programs 


The very first step in applying for permanent resident status is to find out your eligibility, which you can do on the Canadian Government website. When you do, you will find out which of the following programs may be best for you.

  1. Express Entry – One of the fastest ways for you to get your Canadian permanent residence is through the Express Entry program. The program is designed to make it easier and quicker for skilled workers to get permanent residence and a position of employment. There are 
    • Federal Skilled Workers Class (FSW) – If you have experience in certain occupations for which there is a high demand for people with professional work experience and skills, you may be able to use the FSW program to streamline your application for permanent residence. This program is limited to 25,000 visas per year. But if you have a specific job offer you may still apply even if the quota has been filled.
    • Federal Skilled Trades Class (FST) –  Similar to the FSW class, the FST class is best suited for those who want to become a permanent resident based on their qualifications in a skilled trade. 
    • Canadian Experience Class (CEC) – If you have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada, you can apply for one of the 8,000 visas granted annually under the CEC program.
    • Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) – Some province’s may need more immigrants than others. To apply under the PNP, you must contact the immigration office of the province to which you want to immigrate and follow their application process.


2. Family Sponsorship – You can apply under the family sponsorship program if you have a spouse, common-law partner or other close family members who are already permanent residents or Canadian citizens.


3. Caregiver Program – If you have been offered a job or have Canadian work experience as a home childcare provider or home support worker (mainly related to personal home care and home support), you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through this program.


If you enjoyed this post, check out our recent article about why people immigrate to Canada.

© 2019 Serving People Group. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions

Web Design by nvision